Friday, January 1, 2010

On the anniversary of my mother's death


Jane's high school portrait
Windsor School

Today marks the anniversary of my mother's death by suicide, over 30 years ago. I pay tribute to her and continue to honor her memory by doing my best to embrace life and live fully, slaying demons along the rocky, sparkly-glorious way. Let there be hope for all those suffering, all those considering ending their own lives now or in the past. I hope you choose life. Go where the love is.
 
Jane on Commando, jumping
10 years before I was born

About my mother's high school portrait:  Windsor School. All girls. Bostonian blueblood prep. She was so full of promise. Troubled, yes. Also a crack photographer, killer field hockey player, a graceful equestrian, and played Creon -- interestingly, andrognynously -- in the school production of Antigone. I still miss you, Ma.

And so ends another holiday season, which for me -- and I know for many other people who suffered or suffer difficult family relationships, history, or have none -- brings pain. We have made it through. We have triumphed. Let the rest of the year be about celebrating life.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on going where the love is and celebrating life... not easy when you have suffered a loss like this. I know all too well. I hope the day comes when you can hold her memory while letting go of the pain, and be able to enjoy the holidays again. That day finally came for me.

    ReplyDelete